Frequently Asked Questions

On this page we made a summary of the FAQ's regarding the application procedure, the documents you will need and also living and working in Aruba.

Application Procedure

How can I apply for a vacancy?

You can easily submit your application for any of our open positions through this link. You can also submit an open application to us or for an internship opportunity through the same link.

What is the duration of a Locum?

The HOH offers various possibilities with regards to the duration of Locum periods. Locums are generally offered for a period of a minimum of 2 months and a maximum of 4 months. In case of emergency, 1 month may also be possible. For Medical Specialists, a minimum period of 3 weeks and a maximum of 4 months applies. In case of emergency, this can be deviated from. If you come to work for longer than 4 months, this is no longer a temporary employment contract, but a fixed-term or an indefinite contract.

I have submitted my application. What is next?

After submitting your application, you will receive an automatic confirmation. If you do not receive a message from us within 7 working days, please contact the Recruitment department at or the HR Advisors responsible for your chosen vacancy.

I do not have a BIG registration. Can I still qualify for a vacancy?

Non-BIG registered persons are also eligible for a vacancy at the HOH.

What does the application procedure look like?

Have you made it through the selection round? You will be invited for an introductory meeting with a Recruiter. During this interview you will receive information about Aruba, working in the hospital, the conditions and the department.


In the event of a positive introductory interview and reference check, you will be invited for a job interview with the manager of the relevant department.

Terms of Employment

If you are selected, you will receive a proposal with your terms of employment conditions. If you agree, you will be asked to submit a number of documents and the employment process will start.


Which documents do I have to submit in connection with my employment?

You must submit the following documents:

  • Copy of valid Passport
  • Diplomas
  • BIG registration (if applicable)
  • RGS Registration (if applicable)
  • VOG
  • Passport photos
I have agreed to the employment conditions proposal and have submitted the required documents. What are the next steps now?

Once you have agreed to the proposed terms and submitted the documents, you will receive an employment contract and we will take the next important steps.

Diploma Registration/ AruBIG

Before you start at the HOH, your diplomas and certificates must be registered with the Department of Public Health (DVG). For medical specialists, doctors, pharmacists and physiotherapists this is done through the AruBIG registration. More information about AruBIG can be found here. For other healthcare staff, the Approval Application for the registration of the diploma’s applies, which runs through our Government Relations and Agencies Advisor.


If you come to work with us for a period of longer than 30 days, you will need a permit, which will be requested from DIMAS by the HOH. This requires a copy of your passport and digital passport photo, in accordance with the guidelines of the passport. Our Government Relations and Agencies Advisor will support you through this. You will receive your permit

Living and working in Aruba

Where can I register in Aruba and what do I need to bring?

If you have a Locum period at the HOH, you do not need to register. If you are employed by the HOH for longer than 6 months, it is recommended that you register. When employed for a permanent position you are obliged to register in Aruba. More information about the registration procedure at the Censo and the required documents can be found here.

What about my health insurance if I work in Aruba?

In case of a Locum period at the HOH, you should always arrange your own health insurance. In the event that you come to work for a specific or permanent position at the HOH and you are going to register in Aruba, you must register with the General Health Insurance (AZV) after your registration at the Censo. More information about this can be found at this link.

What about liability insurance?

Liability insurance will be arranged by the hospital, this applies to all healthcare personnel and doctors within the hospital. You must have a valid AruBIG or have your diplomas registered.

Does the HOH have a pension scheme?

Yes. You are only eligible to accrue pension if you are registered with the Censo.

I am coming to Aruba am I entitled to reimbursements?

The HOH reimburses a number of your expenses incurred, namely:

  • Return flight
  • Costs for applying for your Certificate of Conduct
  • You will receive an allowance for accommodation and transport for the duration of your agreement with a maximum of 2 months. You must arrange this yourself. The Recruitment Center (HR) has a brochure with various housing and car rental options.
  • If you are employed by the HOH for an indefinite period, you will receive compensation for shipping your household. If you do not make use of this, you will receive a reimbursement for your furnishing costs. For questions about this, please contact your HR Advisor or the Recruitment Center.
How do I go about opening a bank account?

There are several banks in Aruba where you can open a bank account. The HOH works closely with the RBC Bank and Aruba Bank. To open a bank account you need to bring a number of documents with you to the bank, namely:

  1. An employer’s statement
  2. A DIMAS permit
  3. A passport
  4. A rental agreement or purchase contract
  5. If you are registered on Aruba, you must also submit proof of registration from the Censo.
What is the language of instruction in the hospital?

The language of instruction in the hospital is Dutch, but you must also be able to communicate well in English. If you are employed for an indefinite period, you are expected to learn the Papiamento language.

Is there a training period?

The HOH and its departments are used to working with new employees. To allow you to work safely and independently, a training and familiarization period is scheduled for you.

What kind of systems are used in the HOH?

Since January 2022, the HOH has switched to using the AFAS system. You will be using this system from the start of your application. The HOH also uses Labosys and Cerner. You will receive all your login codes at the department on your first working day.

Access pass and Uniform

Your access pass and uniform requests will be sent digitally to the Linen service department. You can pick these up on your first working day. You are first expected at the department and then at the linen service department.

I have questions about my first working day, who can I contact?

For questions about your first working day, please contact your Department Manager. Before you start, you will receive an email from the HR assistants of the HOH with the contact details of your Department Manager.

Contact info HR

I have additional questions. Who can I contact?

For questions, please contact the Recruitment Center at or the HR Advisors of the HOH:

Rolando van der Linde

Monique Harleman

Caroline Hodge

Give us a call

(+297) 527 4000

Send us a message

Facebook Messenger

Send us an email

Contact us via mail